Tory Lanez charged to court with assault over Megan Thee Stallion shooting
Rapper Tory Lanez is facing the possibility of more than 22 years behind bars after being charged with assault in connection with the alleged shooting of Megan Thee Stallion, prosecutors in Los Angeles said.
The Canadian hip-hop star has been charged with one felony count each of assault with
a semiautomatic firearm and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle.
Lanez, 28, also faces a gun allegation and that he personally inflicted great bodily injury,
the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said.
Prosecutors said the alleged incident happened on July 12 when Lanez
and Megan Thee Stallion, a rising hip-hop star, was in an SUV in the Hollywood Hills.
The pair got into an argument, according to prosecutors, and when Megan Thee Stallion got out of the car,
Lanez is said to have shot “several times” at the 25-year-old’s feet, wounding her.
If convicted as charged, Lanez, whose real name is Daystar Peterson,
faces a possible maximum sentence of 22 years and eight months in state prison.
His arraignment is set for October 13 at the Foltz Criminal Justice Centre in downtown Los Angeles.
Lanez had previously denied shooting at Megan Thee Stallion, whose real name is Megan Pete.