Nigerian newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Monday morning

Nigerian newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Monday morning

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

  1. The Nigerian Air Force, Sunday revealed the identity of the killer of the late Flying Officer, Tolulope Arotile. NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Ibikunle Daramola, made this known during a press briefing on Sunday in Abuja. Daramola identified Arotile’s ex-classmate who drove the car that hit her as ‘Mr. Nehemiah Adejoh’. Others in the car were Mr. Igbekele Folorunsho and Mr. Festus Gbayegun. Read More
  2. Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama has tested positive for coronavirus. Onyeama confirmed the development in a tweet on Sunday. He said his result came back positive after a fourth test, adding that he was on his way to an isolation center. Read More
  3. With few hours to governorship primaries of the All Progressives Congress, APC in Ondo State, one of the leading aspirants, Ife Oyedele has withdrawn from the race. He consequently declared his support for Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu’s second term ambition. He made the declaration on Sunday night at the Government House where he said that the decision was in the party’s interest to be formidable during the October 10 governorship polls. Read More
  4. Similarly, the Deputy Governor of Ondo State, Agboola Ajayi on Sunday lashed out at his boss, Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu for tagging him a wrong choice of the deputy. Ajayi said Akeredolu was the wrong choice Ondo people had made. Ajayi emphasized that the governor was trying to put his frustration on him following the failed attempt to use the state House of Assembly to impeach him as the deputy governor.
  1. The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has approved August 21 for tertiary institutions to start first and second choice admission for the 2020/2021 session. They contained this in the 2020 admission guidelines signed by JAMB’s Registrar, Is-haq Oloyede, on Sunday. Read More
  2. The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, has warned that the Federal Government’s Special Works Programme (SPW) is for all Nigerians. He said the job scheme is not only for members of the All Progressives Congress, APC. He also said that he had never ordered that the forms for the SPW be given to APC members.
  3. The Defence Headquarters has said that Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole have eliminated top commanders and members of Boko Haram terrorists in recent encounters in the northeast. The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche disclosed this on Sunday in a statement in Abuja. Enenche explained that the troops had on July 17, killed six terrorists at Kolofata, a community on the Republic of Cameroon border, in an attempt to cross towards Sambisa Forest.
  4. Professor Ndubueze Amaechi, the father of late Uzochi Ndubieze, has demanded a thorough investigation of the unfortunate death of his son in Russia. Uzochi Ndubueze, a native of Obingwa Local Government Area of Abia State, reportedly drowned in Russia last week. But his father, on Sunday specifically, called on the Nigeria Diaspora Commission and Nigerian Ambassador to Russia and other well-meaning Nigerians to come to his aid to ensure justice is served regarding his son’s death as they suspect foul play.
  1. President Muhammadu Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, has told Nigerians to prepare for surprises, as the presidential panel investigating suspended acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, gets set to submit its findings. Shehu said that with the updates the presidency had received so far, the outcome would be shocking. Read More
  2. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has reacted to an allegation made by the All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship candidate in Edo State, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu that it sold its candidacy to the state Governor, Godwin Obaseki for N15 billion. The Leader of the Publicity Committee of the council, High Chief Raymond Dokpesi, said it was unimaginable that Ize-Iyamu, who defected to the PDP in 2016 to contest for the position giving nobody a dime, would be making such allegation.
CATEGORIES
TAGS
Share This