How police extorted 100,000 from me after #EndSARS protest – Didi Ekanem laments

How police extorted 100,000 from me after #EndSARS protest – Didi Ekanem laments

Shortly after the #EndSARS protests against police harassment and brutality, actress, Didi Ekanem has lamented how she lost a whopping sum of N100,000 to the Lagos State task force in the Lekki area of the state.

The curvy actress cum fashion designer revealed how they bullied, humiliated, and intimidated her for over nine hours.

According to Didi Ekanem, the incident happened on November 18.

But, she didn’t formally report the case because her family members said she should let it go.

“I felt extremely humiliated because I was harassed.

The officers were very insensitive.

I admit that I broke the law but it was not deliberate.

I made a U-turn at the wrong place because I wanted to rush back to get my ulcer medications.

Before I could complete the turn, some heavily armed task force officials pointed guns at me while shouting.

I tried to explain my predicament, but they did not hear me out.

Because they saw that I was a young lady, they felt comfortable bullying and intimidating me.

I cried and admitted that I broke the law.

I pleaded with them to temper justice with mercy and forgive me.

Because I broke the law, they felt justified (to harass me).

I did not introduce myself as an actress.

I just told them I was a fashion designer.

I have videos of their faces but I did not want to post it online.”

Read Also; Taraji P. Henson: I feel much better after calling off the engagement

“There were about 10 of them and one almost touched my breasts while pretending to be friendly.

When their commander finally came, they told me to talk to him, but they eventually drove me to Alausa, Ikeja.

I pleaded with him, but he started to make sexual advances at me too.

He said, ‘I like you― your body, (especially) your buttocks’, and I felt so irritated.

At the end of the day, he asked me to pay N200, 000 but I could only afford N100,000.

I eventually made a bank transfer before they released my car.

This ordeal lasted from 9 am to 6 pm.”

Share This


Wordpress (0)
Disqus ( )