COVID-19: Madagascar re-imposes lockdown
Madagascar has placed its capital Antananarivo under a fresh lockdown following a new surge in coronavirus infections, two months after the restrictions they lifted the lockdown, the presidency announced Sunday.
“The Analamanga region (under which the capital is situated) returning to full lockdown,” the presidency said in a statement.
Furthermore, no traffic will be allowed in or out of the region starting Monday until July 20.
A strict curfew will be imposed on street movement by people.
“Only one person per household is allowed to go out into the street between
6:00 am (0400 GMT) and 12:00 pm (1000 GMT),” said the statement.
The measures taken “because of the spread of the epidemic and the increase of COVID-19 cases,” it added.
Used to registering dozens of coronavirus cases a day, Madagascar has in recent days seen an exponential rise in daily numbers, jumping to a record 216 cases on Saturday.
Read Also: Abuja discharges 11 COVID-19 patients
Nearly 24,000 tests have so far been conducted on the impoverished island.
By Sunday the country had a cumulative 2,728 cases,
including 29 deaths since the virus was first detected on the Indian Ocean Island on March 20.
All government meetings via video conferencing, while court hearings also suspended.
In April, President Andry Rajoelina launched a local herbal concoction he claimed prevents and cures the novel coronavirus.
Follow us on Instagram for more updates @wotzupng